In this session, you will learn insurance basics that pertain to the self storage industry and receive tips on making the most of your insurance claim. Presenter Scott Greenwald is the Senior VP and Principal of Goodman-Gable-Gould/Adjusters International (GGG/AI), whose public adjusters represent policyholders in first-party claim negotiations with property insurance carriers for expeditious recovery, after a policyholder has suffered property damage. Insurance experts review and analyze insurance policies, measure damages (to building, business personal property including machinery, equipment, stock, etc., business interruption, loss of rental income/extra expense), prepare detailed claims, and negotiate for expeditious and equitable recovery with insurance carrier(s). Q&A is encouraged.
Our annual Northeast Storage EXPO is being held at the new MGM Casino in Springfield, MA October 2-3, 2019!
Exhibitors: Please go here.
As you can tell from the topics in our agenda below, we’re adding a technological spin to this year’s show! The educational sessions on day one will boast the knowledge, experience, and success of the three founding members of Atomic Storage Group including Rick Beal, Magen Smith, and Matthew Van Horn. On day two, we’ll add the always-enjoyable and helpful attorney Jeffrey Greenberger of Greenberger & Brewer, LLP to the mix as well as a panel of experts who will explore the trends and advancements of technology in today’s world. Throw in roundtables, exhibits, and networking and we have the makings of a groundbreaking show at a can’t-miss location!
MGM is offering beautiful, brand new luxury rooms for our attendees at an astounding rate of $179 per night. You can book online here. The deadline to make your overnight hotel reservations is Sunday, September 1, 2019.
Wednesday, October 2, 2019
2:00 PM Registration
2:30 PM Breakout Sessions (attend one)
Buying, Operating, or Selling: The Numbers You Should Know with Magen Smith, CPA of Atomic Storage Group
Whether you are buying, operating, or selling a storage facility, there are a handful of numbers that can make or break any deal. In this session, we will cover the numbers you should know, where to find them, and why they are important. Buyers will learn the key metrics to review to know if the property is a good deal. Owners and operators will understand numbers beyond rentals and revenue. What else should you review daily, weekly, and monthly? And sellers will learn how to clean up their business to get top dollar in today’s market.
How Tech Trends Improve Your Hiring with Rick Beal of Atomic Storage Group
Storage is a difficult industry to attract talent. Owners and operators are continually challenged to find the best candidates with the methods given to them. These manual processes slow down an organization’s resources and make it difficult to optimize workflows. In this session you will learn how technology will help you through recruitment to hiring. Because, as you know, the most important decision you can make is who is behind the counter.
3:45 PM Break
4:00 PM Bringing Your Storage Operations into the 21st Century with Rick Beal, Magen Smith, and Matthew Van Horn of Atomic Storage Group
Self storage owners face a wide variety of challenges, often including staff, revenue, and competition. In truth, most of the biggest challenges owners have is around one central theme: the bottom line. With the changing scene of technology in storage, it is even more important to understand what you need to improve and why. In this session, we will open our operations and show you the tools you need to bring your storage business into the 21st century without taxing the bottom line. Bring your questions for an active panel discussion.
5:15 PM Annual Business Meeting
5:30 PM Tradeshow and Reception
Join us in the tradeshow hall and on the terrace for mingling, exhibits, hors d’oeuvres, drinks, and networking.
Thursday, October 3, 2019
Registration begins at 8:00 AM. Wake up with breakfast and networking before a day of education and conversation. The schedule and education sessions are listed below.
8:00 AM Registration, Tradeshow, and Breakfast
8:30 AM Welcome and Opening Remarks
8:45 AM Roundtables (attend 3)
- Free Tech Tools to Run Your Facility, Rick Beal of Atomic Storage Group
- How Cloud-Based Access Control Systems and Technology are Changing the Self Storage Industry, Christian Thurgood, Easy Storage Solutions
- Late2Lien: The Turnkey Solution to Automating Late End Lien Sale Notices, Jeffrey Greenberger of Greenberger & Brewer, LLP
- Owning Your Numbers & Understanding Reports, Magen Smith of Atomic Storage Group
- Self Storage Q&A: Ask an Expert, Matthew Van Horn of Atomic Storage Group
- Specialty Storage and Other Options to Increase Revenue and Improve the Bottom Line, Connie Neville of SVN Commercial Real Estate Advisors
- Using Smart Technology to Compete in the Self Storage Industry, Devin Zucker of Janus International
10:00 AM What is New and How It Can be Utilized by Self Storage Facilities with panelists Thomas Brooks of PTI Security Systems, Stephen Tranni of Stor-U-Self, and Tully Zipkin of Global Integrated Technologies
Topics covered by our panel include:
- Cloud base solutions: What does it mean and is it important to you?
- Access control options, including: Mobile applications, automated payment notifications and applications, and automatic locking and overlocking options.
- Artificial intelligence surveillance cameras and what opportunities they present for actual surveillance with optional PA announcements vs. “after the crime” video recording systems.
- Dollars and sense: How does the ROI work?
11:00 AM Exhibits
12:30 PM Lunch, Exhibits
1:15 PM Reconvene and Scholarship Award Presentation
1:30 PM 10 Things Self Storage Owners Do to Self Sabotage with Matthew Van Horn, Atomic Storage Group
Owning a self storage facility can be a trip down insanity lane, with a quick stop at the corner of confusion and overload. It only takes a few mistakes and all of a sudden your dream facility turns into a rudderless plane full of gremlins. This session will show you how to systematically analyze your self storage operation so you can avoid the gremlins and keep your facility on track. Bullet points include:
- Why self storage isn’t like your other businesses
- How to find the self storage manager of your dreams
- Why your self storage facility’s bottom line isn’t the only line
- How to create a stellar self storage marketing plan and why you need to market your facility all the time
- Leveraging the lost art of communication
- Why technology doesn’t solve every problem
- Where to find help before the gremlins create havoc in your self storage operations
- How to leverage revenue management the right way
2:30 PM Why Can’t I Fall in Love with Online Rentals? with Jeffrey Greenberger, Greenberger & Brewer, LLP
Technology is rapidly evolving in the self storage industry, but at times we forget that our industry needs information and sometimes we just need to “see” our potential tenant. Our keynote speaker takes a look at how technology is evolving and reminds us to look at the legal implications of each technological step we take before we leap, as we may forget to protect our businesses.
4:00 PM Closing Remarks, Adjourn
Member Registration: $179 ($199 after September 12)
Nonmember Registration: $199 ($229 after September 12)
Cancellation Policy: Refunds will be issued for full amount minus a $75 administration fee if received in writing by September 18, 2019. Refunds cannot be issued after September 18, 2019.
Applicants must be an employee of or related to a member of the Northeast Self Storage Association, and are enrolled or enrolling in a school of higher education.
Scholarships will be chosen by a committee of volunteers from NeSSA and will be awarded each year at the Northeast Storage EXPO held every fall. If there is more than one applicant the committee deems worthy of a scholarship, the amount may be split into differing levels and presented to more than one individual.
Scholarships are based on the applicant’s responses to the questions on the application.
Completed applications must be received no later than August 31 for the current/upcoming academic year.
- The applicant must be an employee of, or related to, a member of NeSSA.
- Applicants cannot be related to scholarship committee members.
- The applicant must be enrolled or enrolling in a school of higher education, either full-time or part-time (technical college, 2- or 4-year college, graduate school, etc.), and able to provide proof of acceptance or attendance.
- Proof of acceptance or attendance can include your letter of acceptance, transcript, etc.
- The application will include questions and a 300-600 word essay which will provide a response to a posed question and demonstrate the applicant’s thoughts on the importance of higher education.
- The scholarship must be used for the current/upcoming academic school year.
- The applicant must submit a completed application with all required supporting documents by the noted deadline of August 31.
- The scholarship recipient(s) will be honored at the fall 2019 Northeast Storage EXPO. One need not be present to accept.
Please email the completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (860) 228-1337.
2019 Northeast Storage EXPO
Exhibits and Sponsorships Open!
The Northeast Self Storage Association is hosting its annual Northeast Storage EXPO October 2nd and 3rd, 2019 at the new MGM Casino in Springfield, Massachusetts.
Attendees: Please go here.
All suppliers for the self storage industry are invited to exhibit at the event. Sponsorships are also available for added visibility. Register soon and select your booth space!
*NEW FOR 2019* There is one brand new sponsorship opportunity this year.
As a Drink Ticket Sponsor, your logo will be printed on complimentary drink tickets at the reception, you will be listed in the conference rogram and on signage, and you will be recognized as a sponsor on NeSSA’s website and from the podium at the general session.
If you would like to be considered for a roundtable presentation, please send your title and description to Courtney Kahler. Topics must be educational in nature, not a sales pitch, and will be approved by the Program Committee. Roundtables will be chosen by Monday, August 19, 2019.
Download the Exhibitor and Sponsor application for complete details, or click on the “Register Now” button below to register today. You can also view the floor plan. Five-Star annual sponsors received the benefit of first booth choice. Remaining space is confirmed on a first registered and paid basis. Please see the event schedule below:
Wednesday, October 2, 2019
12:00 PM – Exhibitor Move-In (must be ready by 4:00 PM)
2:00 PM – Registration
2:30 PM – Breakout Sessions
3:45 PM – Breakout Session
5:00 PM – NeSSA Annual Business Meeting
5:30 PM – Tradeshow and Reception
Thursday, October 3, 2019
8:00 AM – Registration, Tradeshow, and Breakfast
8:30 AM – Welcome, Opening Remarks
8:45 AM – Roundtables, Breakfast Available
10:00 AM – Panel Presentation
11:00 AM – Exhibits
12:30 PM – Lunch, Exhibits
1:15 PM – Reconvene, Scholarship Award Presentation
1:30 PM – Keynote Speaker
2:30 PM – Keynote Speaker Jeff Greenberger, Greenberger & Brewer, LLP
3:45 PM – Closing Remarks, Adjourn
The booth price for NeSSA members is $699 and includes the cost of two company representatives ($749 after September 15th)
The nonmember booth price is $999 and includes one company representative – But if you join NeSSA, you’ll save on your exhibit fee and get to bring a second booth representative at no additional cost.
Many levels of sponsorships are available and start at $200.
You can make overnight hotel reservations under our discounted room block at the MGM here.
With the support of its Code Committee, the Self Storage Association (SSA) successfully pursued several key changes to the 2021 International Building Code (IBC).
- An exception has been added to IBC Section 2902.3.3 to permit an increase in the location (to greater than every other floor) and maximum distance of travel (to greater than 500 ft) for restrooms. The location and travel distance must be approved by the code official.
- The maximum allowable height of sprinklered facilities made of Type IIB materials (unprotected steel) and Type IIIB materials (noncombustible or fire-retardant-treated wood stud exterior walls and any interior construction) has been increased from 3 stories to 4 stories. The Code continues to have total floor and building square footage limits.
- Pursuant to modified IBC Section 903.2.9, storage facilities are exempt from the automatic sprinkler system requirement if: (1) the total fire area is 12,000 sq. ft. or less; (2) the combined total fire areas are 24,000 sq. ft. or less; (3) the facility is no greater than one story above grade plane; and (4) all storage spaces are accessed directly from the exterior.
Please email SSA’s Senior Vice President of Legal and Legislative Counsel Joe Doherty with any questions or to receive supporting documentation for these changes.
Thank you for visiting the Northeast Self Storage Association website!
Please be advised that staff is out of the office today, Tuesday, May 28th through Friday, June 7th. We will briefly check email through May 31st for emergencies only. The office will be closed June 3rd – 7th.
You are more than welcome to email us or leave us a voicemail at (617) 600-4481, and we will get back with you once we return.
We will be back full time starting Monday, June 10th. Thank you for your understanding and continued support!
Please note that the Northeast Self Storage Association (NeSSA) has changed our address effective immediately. Please update your records to reflect our new location:
17047 Goldcrest Loop
Clermont, FL 34714
The old PO Box will remain under NeSSA’s name until it expires later this year and will be checked regularly. Once it expires, all mail will be forwarded to our new address.
Thank you for attention to this matter!
As a self storage owner, investor, or operator, you have been living in the Golden Age of Self Storage. That’s right, your facility occupancy’s, revenues, and valuations have never been higher. Unfortunately, your self storage facility doesn’t exist in a void, black hole, or walled garden. There are currently hundreds of new self storage facilities under construction, with more on the way. Expenses such as marketing, payroll, and property taxes are on the rise. In this webinar, we will discuss how to keep your facility’s expenses in check with our presenter, Matthew Van Horn of 3 Mile Domination.
When: Tuesday, June 25, 2019 at 2:00 PM EST
- The benefits of Smart Connected facilities for self storage owners/operators
- How centralized data allows you to monitor, control, command
- How to respond to different circumstances, facilitating real-time optimization
- How to embrace the infrastructure and data generated to make more informed decisions
The Northeast Self Storage Association is returning to the Publick House Historic Inn for our annual Spring Retreat!
Begin your morning mingling with sponsors and other self storage owners and managers over breakfast. The day’s education will begin with an introduction of our speaker, Rick Beal from Easy Storage Solutions. Rick’s session, The Five Pillars of Facility Management and Tools You Need to Succeed, will be split into two sessions in order to maximize the amount of material passed onto you.
You can check out the descriptions of each session as well as the day’s agenda below!
Tuesday, April 23, 2019
8:30 AM – Registration and Breakfast
9:00 AM – Opening Remarks
9:15 AM – There are five pillars of management every storage facility must focus on in order to be successful. As competition increases, so can your vacancy. That is why it becomes more important than ever to follow these pillars to enable long-term growth of your revenue and business. The five pillars include:
1) Growing revenue,
2) Growing employees,
3) Gaining new customers,
4) Keeping customers, and
5) Elimination of unnecessary costs.
11:30 AM – Lunch and Networking
12:30 PM – In the afternoon session we will discuss what must-have tools are available to operators to help achieve these goals that are the five pillars. Technology in self storage has exploded in the past ten years and deciding what to implement for your store can become overwhelming and expensive. Together, we will explore how to view technology, what free tolls to use, how tech benefits your daily operations, and how to decide whether or not you should invest in the “next thing.”
2:00 PM – Adjourn
Member Rate: $75 ($85 after 4/9/19)
Nonmember Rate: $89 ($99 after 4/9/19)
Tabletop Sponsor: $300 (Includes one attendee registration and a cocktail table to showcase your company’s information and materials.)
Not a member? Join while registering and pay the member rate! Your membership will last through the end of 2019 and you’ll receive all the benefits that come with a NeSSA membership.
**Two for One Registration Opportunity**
Are you a member of NeSSA? Do you know someone who isn’t a member? Register to bring them with you to the 2019 Spring Retreat and you will each receive 50% off your registration fees! Simply enter the Promo Code 2FOR1 while registering.
*Only available for current NeSSA members. Their guest must not already be a member of NeSSA. Guest’s company information must be provided at time of registration. Only one nonmember guest per member registration.
Please let us know if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing you there!
Cancellation Policy: Refunds will be issued for the full amount minus a $30 administration fee if received in writing by April 9, 2019. Refunds cannot be issued after April 9th.