The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) was signed into law on December 22, 2017. This marks the first comprehensive tax law reform since 1986 and the legislation has created a wealth of new opportunities for the thoughtful owner of self storage properties. A thorough cost segregation study is the vehicle by which TCJA benefits may be obtained. The Tangible Property Regulations (TPRs) are still in play in this post tax-reform era, and in fact augment the utility of the TCJA. Again, a thorough cost segregation study is the key to fully leveraging all possible benefits. We will also discuss several case studies to illustrate how self storage owners and operators have realized tax savings through these strategies.
- Understand how cost segregation is the vehicle by which tax savings opportunities are obtained.
- Use a TPR flowchart to assist in the expense vs. capitalization decision-making process.
- Identify possible opportunities for leveraging the TPRs.
- Explain the significance of the date 9/27/17 in determining bonus rates for new construction projects and acquisitions.
- Review the current status of Qualified Improvement Property under the TCJA.
- Become familiar with Section 179 and Opportunity Zones under the TCJA.
Join us for a webinar on December 2nd where our presenter, Carly Ferris of Capstan Tax Strategies, will walk you through these changes and answer your questions on what this means for you.