Returning after two years… the Northeast Self Storage Association is hosting its annual Northeast Storage EXPO May 10th and 11th, 2022 at the MGM Casino in Springfield, Massachusetts.
After so many years away, we are covering all aspects of owning and operating a self storage facility at this year’s show! Our sessions will cover everything from how the pandemic shaped our operations, the current state of our market, tech tricks you need to know, popular legal questions, and what we can expect looking ahead.
We’re excited to have CubeSmart’s Senior Vice President of Third-Party Management, Guy Middlebrooks, present a keynote on what our industry saw in 2021 and what it means for us moving forward. We will also hear about attorney Jeff Greenberger’s most common questions in an entertaining and educational legal keynote session. We’ll also have panels, roundtables, an exhibit hall, and numerous networking opportunities to round out this stellar show.
New for 2022! NeSSA will be holding a raffle auction on some big-ticket items benefiting our academic scholarship fund. Tickets will be available for purchase at the registration table. Simply drop half of your ticket with the item you’d like a chance to win, then stick around for the drawing! If you would like to donate an item to the auction, please contact Courtney for ideas or to let her know what you’ll be bringing.
Enjoy the convenience of skipping the morning commute and walking to the conference just downstairs. MGM is offering attendees an overnight room block at a discounted rate of $209 per night. You can book online here. The deadline to make your overnight hotel reservations is Friday, April 15, 2022.
Tuesday, May 10, 2022
2:00 PM Registration
2:30 PM State of the Market with panelists Dick Bettencourt of MakoRabco, Hans Hardisty of SVN Commercial Real Estate Advisors, Bishesh Shrestha of Live Oak Bank, Jason Taunton-Rigby of Colliers International, and moderated by Connie Neville of SVN Commercial Real Estate Advisors
More than a lot has changed since we last discussed the current state of the northeastern self storage industry. Everything from our financial position to the supply chain has been affected by a worldwide pandemic, and will continue to change and fluctuate with the ongoing events of the world. This panel will cover:
- Supply chain issues and challenges to expansion projects
- Pricing and cap rate expectations
- What buying and selling looks like right now and what those in the market should focus on
- Whether we are seeing more conversion vs. new construction
- Refinancing options for existing operators while keeping interest rates in mind
- The future of the market going forward
3:45 PM Break
4:00 PM Creating Digital Synergy to Maximize Online Presence and Customer Reach with Steve Lucas, The Storage Group
Every user varies in their method of online searching, and if you’re not catering to each user type, you’re missing out on new tenants. Successful marketing strategies have mastered the art of combining digital services to maximize ROI. We’ll share the secrets on the various methods of user behavior with the most popular digital marketing forms – PPC, SEO, and Social Media – to effectively enhance your bottom line. Understand the importance of SEO and the impact it has on your website visibility, especially at the time of website launch. Additionally, we’ll share Google’s no-no’s when it comes to penalizing websites and black hat SEO strategies that must be avoided to stay in Google’s good graces. By learning how various search styles can be optimized with the mixed targeting of these services and website, you’ll be able to customize and expand your audience-base online to enhance actualized sales at your facility.
5:00 PM Tradeshow and Reception
Join us in the tradeshow hall and on the terrace for mingling, exhibits, hors d’oeuvres, drinks, and networking.
Wednesday, May 11, 2022
Registration begins at 8:00 AM. Wake up with breakfast and networking before a day of education and conversation. The schedule and education sessions are listed below.
8:00 AM Registration, Tradeshow, and Breakfast
8:30 AM Welcome and Opening Remarks
8:45 AM Roundtables (attend three)
- America’s Labor Shortage is Your Problem with Andy Stavros, XPS Solutions
- Late2Lien: The Turnkey Solution to Automating Late End Lien Sale Notices with Jeffrey Greenberger, Greenberger & Brewer, LLP
- Metrics that Matter: How to Benchmark Your Storage Website Performance with Bob Hazlett, OpenTech Alliance
- Self Storage Marketing Toolkit with Tyler Anthony, StoragePug
- Tenant Protection Programs: How to Run Them Successfully, How to Increase Your Income, and How to Avoid Legal Headaches with Chris Betteridge, Deans & Homer
- Unmanned Facilities – Which Online Rental Features Do You Really Need? with Steve Lucas, The Storage Group
- What Rising Cap Rates Could Mean for My Facility’s Value with Nathan Coe, Marcus & Millichap
10:00 AM Operating Under Siege with panelists Jennifer Barroqueiro of Storage Asset Management, Damon Emerson of Storage Shield, Charlie Fritts of Storage Investment Management, LLC, and moderated by Steve Tranni of Stor-U-Self
Having experienced multiple recessions, challenging laws, and difficult tenants, hard times are nothing new to self storage owners and managers. But no one could have known that we would live – and work – through a worldwide pandemic. More than a lot has happened during the last two years. Join our panel as we explore how these challenges strengthened our operations. We’ll discuss:
- Why an increase in occupancies resulting in higher rates happened.
- “The Great Resignation” and the staffing issues we’re still seeing, plus what you can do to attract new employees.
- The automation explosion! How has technology and virtual answers helped to sustain your business?
- How the Hub and Spoke concept can save your business time and money.
- What is causing the lag in development and expansion.
- Is there a correction coming to self storage?
11:00 AM Exhibits
12:30 PM Lunch, Exhibits
1:15 PM Auction Drawing and Scholarship Award Presentation
1:30 PM 2021 Was the Best Year Ever – So What’s Next for Self Storage? with Guy Middlebrooks, CubeSmart
Many believe that the storage industry experienced its best year ever in 2021; record high occupancy, increased rent rates, and more. Why did that happen and what should we expect moving forward? CubeSmart’s Senior Vice President of third-party management will delve into these answers and let us know what’s ahead for our industry.
2:30 PM The Four Topics Courtney Wishes You Would Not Call Her About: Bankruptcy, Facility Disasters, Death, and Vehicle Storage with Jeffrey Greenberger, Greenberger & Brewer, LLP
While the NeSSA staff loves to hear from its members, there are four topics that the staff is more than used to hearing about in calls: occupant bankruptcy, how to handle occupants after disaster at the facility, the death of an occupant, and vehicle storage. Our speaker, Jeffrey Greenberger, who is a partner in the law firm of Greenberger & Brewer, has decided to try and tackle all four topics in one keynote presentation. Every operator has run into questions or concerns about at least one of these issues. Stay for our legal keynote to learn how to address these timely and important issues.
3:30 PM Closing Remarks, Adjourn
Member Rate: $179 ($199 after April 23)
Nonmember Rate: $199 ($229 after April 23)
Disclaimers & Policies
- Refunds will be issued for the full amount minus a $75 administration fee if received in writing by April 26, 2022. Refunds cannot be issued after April 26, 2022.
- NeSSA reserves the right to use your image or likeness in any pictures taken by staff or Board members, unless an express written request is received by April 26, 2022.
- NeSSA reserves the right to cancel an event due to any circumstance which would make the event non-viable. If NeSSA cancels an event, registrants will be offered a full refund. Should the event be postponed, NeSSA has the right to either issue a full refund or transfer registration to the same event at the future date.
For the health and safety of all attendees, the Northeast Self Storage Association is complying with applicable health and safety requirements and CDC recommendations. We need the help of all attendees to accomplish this as effectively as possible. By registering for the NeSSA 2022 Northeast Storage EXPO, you agree for your safety and the safety of all attendees, you will not attend the NeSSA 2022 Northeast Storage EXPO if you have any symptoms of illness or have had recent exposure to COVID-19.
In order to protect the health and safety of all NeSSA 2022 Northeast Storage EXPO attendees to the fullest extent possible, you agree to engage in responsible health and safety conduct consistent with current CDC recommendations. You also agree to comply with all COVID-related procedures implemented by the Northeast Self Storage Association and the MGM Springfield including procedures related to mask-wearing, social distancing, etc. These procedures will be communicated to attendees by the Northeast Self Storage Association prior to the event.
Thank you for doing your part to make the NeSSA 2022 Northeast Storage EXPO a safe and successful event.